I found this really fun and cute frame at Hobby Lobby when they were having a 1/2 off sale. I love the scrollwork and the font on the word family.
But I didn't like...
...the cheap black plastic look to the frame. It definitely needed a makeover!
First things first, I took out all of the glass and cardboard backing. A good makeover starts with a naked frame!
Luckily the word "family" was just screwed on to the frame and not permanently attached. I unscrewed that sucker and got it off of there.
I turned the word upside down on the back of a piece of scrapbook paper and traced around the word with a marker. I then cut the paper with an X-acto knide. I couldn't get in all the grooves with the marker, so I'll tell you what I did about that in a minute. This did not need to be a perfect cut...
I used some Mod Podge to apply the paper to the word. A nice layer of Mod Podge, not too thick and not too thin, will do just the trick! After the paper and glue had time to dry, I went at the curves and corners with a small file to get rid of the excess paper.
I had just gotten my
greedy little hands on some scrapbook crackle paint and was just itching to try it out. I painted two coats (the 1st coat wanted to flake off, but the 2nd coat did just the trick) all around the edge of the frame.
I covered the rest of the frame with the same scrapbook paper I used on the word "family".
I spritzed all of the paper and the crackle paint (while it was still slightly damp) with some Glimmer Mist to give it a little shimmer.
For one of the places for a photo, I knew I wanted something a little different. So I made this little sign using scrapbook paper and a flower. I think it gives the whole thing a little bit of charm.
And, viola! My new and improved family frame!
Now I just need to find the perfect place to hang it...