Gourd Decor

I decided my mantle needed something new to spice it up for fall.
I decided on some new gourd decor!
I’ve had this plastic pumkin for years. I think it was one of my mom’s decorations and she passed it on to me. I haven’t set it out in several years because I decided I didn’t like the look of the bright orange plastic.
I decided now was a great time for a makeover! Especially once I saw how well the two stacked on top of one another when you took the pumpkin apart.

There were several iterations of what was to be the top of the pumpkin decor.
I started off with some Mod Podge and loose glitter.
Let’s just say that was an epic FAIL.
I won’t even bother you with a photo!
After washing off all of the glitter and Mod Podge, I tried my favorite glitter spray, Spray & Sparkle (remember from my glitter pumpkins?). Again, I didn’t like it. Another FAIL!
I had just bought some fun-looking brown glitter Krylon paint for plastics at Walmart, so I decided to give that a try.
I painted directly on top of the Spray & Sparkle.
WINNER!

I added some ribbon along the edge of the pumpkin.

For what was now to be the bottom of the pumpkin decor, I tore some texture paper into pieces and Mod Podged it on.

It was a little too green so I dabbed on some brown distress ink.
Much better!

To add some height to where my gourds were going to go, I added glass beads to the pumpkin filling it about two thirds of the way full.

I have a variety of small gourds I purchased a year or two ago on sale. I found three that would fit in my pumpkin.
But they look kind of blah.
They definitely need some dressing up!

I had the brilliant idea to wrap the gourds with the leftover yarn from my Pottery Barn knock-off pillow. But the first gourd I wrapped ended up looking like a pear! So that idea was no good.

I decided to cover them in more Mod Podged scraps of textured paper.
Love them!
The gourd to the left I inked with brown distress ink after glueing all of the pieces on.
The gourd in the center I left as is after adhering all of the paper.
The gourd to the right was wrapped with white textured paper that I brushed with red glitter glue.

And now I have some new decor!!
This projects was chock full of errors, but the end result was definitely worth all of the trouble.
AND all of the supplies I used were on hand! Nothing new!
I definitely need to do more of these types of projects in the future… We’ll see how that goes! :)
I have started truncating my posts to avoid having my content stolen. I hope you’ll click over to finish reading the post. Thank you for understanding!

Comments

  1. says

    I love that tectured paper. Since my sister hasd her kitchen decorated in pears I would love the pear result–it would mean-a GIFT for my sister.

    Thanks for linking up to the DIY Club. I hope your weekend has been full of lots of fun.
    cheri

  2. says

    These are so pretty! Looks like your failed attempts paid off because these are amazing! I would never have guessed that you covered them with paper!

  3. says

    I really like that textured paper. It makes me want some. I’m so glad you finally got the right paint on that old pumpkin, it looks great now.

  4. says

    So Fall….so pretty! I have so many epic fails…but that’s what happens when you are trying new things…but it is great when an epic fail leads to epic good! The gourds are super cool! (you can link this up to the diy club party too…Krylon is a new sponsors!)

  5. says

    Wow! I cannot believe you mod-podged textured paper on those. They are so incredible… and to think you started with plastic! Awesome! Great fall decor!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>