Fresh blueberry doughnuts recipe: Up your doughnut game with this healthier version of baked blueberry doughnuts that are sure to be a breakfast hit.
My boys LOVE doughnuts, and I thought I could put together some relatively healthy recipes for them by baking doughnuts instead of frying them.
You can imagine I was pretty stoked to receive this pan (affiliate link) Christmas morning!
Baking doughnuts in the pan allows for less prep (no making dough ahead of time!) and allows me to incorporate various fruits into the dough.
This recipe incorporates fresh blueberries and Greek yogurt, both delicious and healthy ingredients.
I did make a glaze for the doughnuts, but that can always be left off.
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
For the glaze
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream (or milk)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray doughnut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add yogurt, eggs, and butter. Beat until just combined.
- Stir in blueberries.
- Fill each doughnut cup approximately 2/3 full.
- Bake 7-9 minutes, until tops of doughnuts are golden brown.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing. Top with glaze.
For the glaze
- Combine powdered sugar and heavy cream until icing forms.
- If icing is too thick, add more cream. If icing is too thin, add more sugar.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I hope you and your clan enjoy this fresh blueberry doughnuts recipe for breakfast as much as mine did!
I can’t wait to try it with strawberries or raspberries next.
>> See where I party! <<
This post was originally shared March, 2014.