Make a DIY Jack Skellington shirt and decorated pumpkin using HTV and adhesive vinyl!
My family traveled to Disneyland a couple of years ago during fall break. All of the Halloween decorations were up, and my boys, then 3 and 6, were going to go trick or treating in the park. We saw so many fun characters that night we trick-or-treated that I was convinced we would have never seen them all during regular park hours. One character we missed, because his line was sooooo long was Jack Skellington. It was just as well since my boys hadn’t seen The Nightmare Before Christmas yet and didn’t know who he was.
However, the next day we saw Jack Skellington with only a small line shortly after entering the park. My boys had spotted him and, though not knowing his character, really wanted to meet him so we got in line. And I’ve been kind of obsessed with him ever since!
As you can see, my boys were not the least bit afraid of him. In fact, they were pretty fascinated! And Jack did great with the boys. He explained to them that he had taken over the Haunted Mansion ride, which we hadn’t been on yet, and he wanted to be sure he could hear us all scream as we rode it.
Running into Jack Skellington prior to riding the Haunted Mansion turned out to be a super happy accident. The boys were so enthralled by him that they weren’t the least bit scared on the ride and looked for “their friend, Jack”.
When we came home from the trip we let the boys watch The Nightmare Before Christmas for the first time, and they really enjoyed it. Meeting Jack Skellington in person made it much less scary!
Rewatching the movie with my boys made me remember how much I loved Jack’s character. Now I’m little obsessed with using him at Halloween! Last year I made my boys The Nightmare Before Christmas Halloween trick or treat bags. This year, I used the SVG pattern from the bags to make myself a fun Halloween shirt and a matching pumpkin for my decor!
You can download the FREE pattern for Jack Skellington (I also have Oogie Boogie) in the trick or treat bags post.
I cut the main characteristics of Jack’s face out on black glitter heat transfer vinyl, eyebrows, eyes, nose, and mouth as well as his tie on my Silhouette Cameo. Note: Remember, when cutting HTV flip the image horizontally prior to cutting. The only piece that needed weeding was the tie.
Place the cut HTV on a white t-shirt, cover with an piece of cloth or ironing mesh, and iron the vinyl on. Peel up the plastic cover on each piece of vinyl while it is still warm.
I found a small, round pumpkin at Michael’s that was the perfect shape for Jack’s head. It was cream colored so I simply gave it a quick coat of bright white acrylic paint. I also painted the stem black.
Resize the image of Jack face to fit your pumpkin and cut out the eyebrows, eyes, nose and mouth on black glitter vinyl. Use transfer tape to pull up the cut image, started with the eyebrows, eyes, and nose. Position where you want the vinyl on the pumpkin then use your thumb the rub the vinyl on. This will help keep a smooth application over the ridges of the pumpkin. Repeat the process with the mouth, applying a small portion at a time.
Be sure and visit the other 25 Disney craft ideas using vinyl that my fellow bloggers have created!
1. Lion King shirts by Play Party Plan
2. Jack Skellington Ears by A Pumpkin and a princess
3. Nemo pumpkin from C.R.A.F.T.
4. Disney coloring shirt by Artsy Fartsy Mama
5. Belle framed art by Crafting in the Rain
6. Miracles free cut file By Dawn Nicole Designs
7. Autograph shirt by the Pinning Mama
8.Disney countdown by Frenchi Wraps
9. Girl dress up by Over the Big Moon
10. Spirit animal shirt by Smashed peas and Carrots
11. Customized Minnie Ears by Inspiration Made Simple
12.Winnie the Pooh quote from Where the Smile Have been!
13. Modest ariel from Kiki & Company
14. Jack Skellington coin purse by Tried and True
15. Minnie Mouse purse by A girl and a glue gun
16. Disney ornaments by Happiness is Homemade
17. Girl Boss shirt by Sweet Rose Studio
18.No Sew Minnie tutu by Sugar Bee Crafts
19. Haunted Mansion door design by Simple simon and Co.
20. Minnie Mouse bow shirt by Girl loves Glam
21. Mary Poppins design by the Crafted Sparrow
22. Cinderella hand lettered shirt by Pitter and Glink
23. Jack Skellington shirt and pumpkin by the The Scrap Shoppe
24. Beauty and Beast book sign by Flamingo Toes
25. Hat hair shirt by Polka Dot chair
26. Vintage Disneyland by Persia Lou