Vintage Bicycle Makeover

A few years ago my husband bought us matching 15-speed bicycles. It was my first time using a multi-speed bike and, let me tell you, it was not an easy learn! I don’t think I ever really got the hang of it. That whole “trying to teach an old dog new tricks” thing and all. In the end I just gave it up because I didn’t enjoy it.

Enter my mom’s old bicycle.

Ah! An old fashioned 1-speed! Breaks on the pedals. Nothing on the handlebars. I like!
This gem is a 1978 (still has the original manufacturers sticker on it!) Western Flyer Galaxy Flyer bicycle is not just made in the U.S.A., but in Tennessee! It was originally my Nana’s, but she passed it on to my mother, who passed it on to me!
But it could use some touching up, yes?
A couple of weeks ago my husband gave the bike a HUGE makeover. I chose the paint color, seat, and handlebars, but he did all the work!
He took the bike apart and painted everything that was once green to Harbor Blue. He removed all of the rust and repainted everything that was once silver to Textured Metallic.
We found the brown leather seat and matching handlebars at Walmart as well as the new white wall tires.
Love it!! Love the vintage feel of it. Love the color. Love, love, love!!
Now I just need a basket to go on the front. :)
Thanks, hubs!!

Comments

What a fabulous redo you and your hubby did! I am looking for an old bike to do the same with! I intend to do the repaint anyway, and my dream bike basket, and pedal happily to the local farmer’s market! Wonderful inspiration!

thanks for posting this!
    I was just wondering if this would work. I have this secret dream to have a bike just like my original Schwinn, but they are kinda hard to find. Now there’s hope!
    Your bike looks amazing!

That is the coolest transformation I have ever seen! I love it and your blog. Thank you for linking to my party, so that I could find you. I hope you will come again.
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

Best bike ever! How cool that it was your grandmother’s. Your husband did a fantastic job. Thanks for sharing this (even if I am now green with envy).

This turned out so gorgeous – your husband did an amazing job and you picked an excellent color! That was probably a big huge job but so worth it since it’s passed down :)

There’s a cute basket tutorial on UCreate (I’m thinking That’s So Cuegly but not positive) if you want to make your own!

Hi Michelle. Just wanted to let you know I’ll be featuring your bike tomorrow! Stop by and grab a featured button if you like! Love this! Thanks for joining the Sunday Showcase! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Michelle, I simply adore this bike! Love it! I really like the color – perfect! You’re so lucky and hubby did an excellent job! Stop by the Sunday Showcase if you get a chance..this is simply fabulous!! ~ Stephanie Lynn