Patriotic Doily Banner

My mantle needed a little red, white, and blue love so I whipped up this super easy
Patriotic Doily Banner.
And by super easy, I am so not joking. I let my Silhouette do all of the work!
I downloaded 3 doily images from the Silhouette library and staggered the images so that the 3 could be stacked on top of one another. Then I cut the images in half. I could easily cut the doilies in half myself after the Sihouette cuts them out, but this just saves me that step.
I cut each of the doilies out one at a time on red, white, and blue scrapbook paper.
I made sure to choose doilies with solid centers for my two bottom layers.
Now to glue all of my layers together.
I spread out some freezer paper (shiney side up) and layed out my largest doilies.
(And, yes, I totally used some of my son’s blocks as anchors around the corners of the freezer paper!)
I used Mod Podge to glue the layers of doilies to one another.
In that magical way that Mod Podge works, it dried perfectly clear as you can see above.
It also gave my thin scrapbook paper an extra thickness.
I repeated the process glueing with all 8 doily sets.
With my scrapbook paper reinforced with the layer of Mod Podge, I was able to thread some thin ribbon through the holes of the red doilies so I could string them all together.
Ahhh!
Just the coloring my mantle needed!
I’m thrilled with how they turned out!
I think I’ll whip up a few more of these to string around in other places in the house.
🙂
Doily images from the Silhouette library:
Red – antique_doily_C00671_20509
White – antique_doily_C00669_20509
Blue – 3_set_doily_C00942_20509 (the largest of the 3)

Comments

I LOVE your cute project!! When I saw the top picture, I really thought you had used fabric! I am going to make this…today! Thanks so much for giving us the image numbers. Off to the Silhouette store now…..

~Donna

This project is just absolutely beautiful!! – love it to pieces!! I have GOT to get a Silhouette machine. If you make one for The Skinners – would you make me one too!!! I’d pay you too!!!

Hmmm – so how did I miss this? Or maybe I just don’t remember it? lol Either way, this is an adorable – and quick – idea!

Hi Michele – I just love how dainty these look! I’d really love to link to this adorable project from my site: http://www.AllFreeHolidayCrafts.com. We have a whole patriotic section that this would make a great addition to. Please let me know if linking to you is ok!
    Thanks!
    Rachel@AllFreeHolidayCrafts

Hi Michele, I am Michele! 🙂

Love your banner, thank you for the tutorial! I am going to check out some more of your craftiness. Thanks for sharing! xoxo michele

Love this!! I thought it was fabric and a lot of work when I first saw the picture. Knowing it’s paper and cut with a cutter makes it even cuter because it’s so easy. Never thought of mod podging them all together, I would have just used a regular scrapbooking kind of glue. Great tip, thanks!!

Cute, Cute, Cute!! Love them Michele! I haven’t made ANY 4th of july decor and guess it won’t be happening either, but I’ll be remembering this for another time! Thanks for linking up to this week’s Catch a Glimpse party.

What a great idea! Super cute and nothing better than red, white and blue for the weekend!! I found you through The Girl Creative Linky party! I am your newest follower. Hope you stop by my blog and check things out. 🙂

This is beyond fabulous. It is patriotic with a hint of vintage, yet with appeal to all. You did an amazing job on this…I want one! (and a silhouette so I can make one!)

This is so cute! I have seen lots of doilies lately and LOVE them. I love the looking of patriotic bunting. 🙂 Great project!

Looking at the banner before the tutorial, I thought it was fabric and then when I saw it was paper, I was amazed. Very pretty!

Trackbacks