Picture Frame Hanging Tip

This little tip may just change your life!
Okay, maybe I’m being a little overdramatic. Maybe
But you WILL love this picture frame hanging tip!
Where I learned this tip:
While on maternity leave (which is sadly coming to an end soon), I had HGTV on in the background nearly every day. On one of those days I happened to look up when Get It Sold with Sabrina Soto was on. You know, its the one where Sabrina stages homes for hopes of a quicker sale. Well, she preparing to hang frames on the wall when she whipped out this homemade tool to mark the perfect placement of the frame on the wall!
So I decided to make my version of this tool.
Sabrina had a long piece of wood that looked like an extra thick paint stirrer, and to one end she had a screw screwed into it. I decided to make a scaled down version with a nail and a clothespin since most of the photos I hang aren’t any larger than an 8×10.
I simply hammered a nail into a clothespin.
And if you’re curious as to why I used a clothespin its because
1) I have a ton of them and
2) Because the one end can double as an extra thick piece of wood so my nail will stay nice and straight when I use it.

To use my little contraption, I hung the nail in the hook on the back of the frame.

Then I held the frame up on the wall and decided where I wanted it to go.
When I knew where I wanted the frame to go I simply gave the top of the frame a light tap.

Which in turn pushed the nail into the wall leaving a marker for where I need put my nail to hold the frame!
Did you just have a “why didn’t I think of that moment?”
I only ask because I SO did when I saw this on tv. :)

This little picture frame hanging tip worked like a charm on my son’s new photo collage!
;)

Comments

I loved your post. It is very easy to use. I have been using one product that I too love and it works for every frame specially wall collages like this one. Simply Hang it. They are little pieces of paper that mark the exact location of the nail. Its perfect!

We’re completely remodeling our house,therefore I will be hanging BEAUCOUP pics on the wall so THIS is the BEST idea I’ve seen in a VERY long time !! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT !!!!!!!!

I came over from iheart organizing where you had left a comment ~ THANK YOU for this wonderful hint about the picture framing. I will definitely try this!!

I totally split my clothespin in two when I tried to hammer the nail in … twice. Crazy! How do you get your nail in without splitting the wood?

ok this is awesome and i’m going to tell you how about the many reasons why! I found your DIY on pinterest. I headed over here in my curiosity, only to find a brilliant tip. Then I realized you have a son named Gavin. (me too). Then I realized you did a gallery collage for him…Ive been planning this for a long time and havent buckled down to actually do it! and lastly, my name is Michelle too (two l’s but who’s counting?!)
    Thanks for this fab tip, it will make the gallery wall go so much smoother!!
    great to find you…following you now!

Hi there! Thank you so much for linking this up last week to My Favorite Things Friday Party last week. You are featured in My Stay At Home Nation Spotlight this week! Grab a button & thank you for sharing. I can’t wait to see what you link up this week!
    ~Iffy~

I love practical info. And yes, like all the others-brillant! Why didn’t I think of that?!? ;)

Stopping by from DavisDomestications.blogspot.com

Wow! That is such a great idea! I am going to use this! I have a bunch of holes I need to patch that are hiding behind picture frames because the nails were in the wrong spots. :) Thanks for sharing this wonderful tip!

You’re right, I do love it! (Should save some random holes in my wall, ahem…)
    Jacqueling (visiting from Shabby Creek)

Genius! Love your gallery wall. It just gave me the idea to add a shelf into the middle of mine and put a big wooden R for our last name on it! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Hi Michelle-

This is such a great tip. I remember seeing it on Get It Sold and forgot all about it. I am going to make one right now, so it is handy the next time I need it. I added the link to this post on my DIY Daily page.

My best-Diane

Awwwwwww!
    YOU just changed my life!!!
    right now I have that dramatic cipmunk’s face awwww
    Amazing!
    Will make my tool tomorrow morning first thing!
    Thanks!

My husband will love this! Ha! He’s the one who hangs my pictures. I won’t let on I may be able to do it myself with your handy tool.

All I have to say is Duh! So Simple but SO USEFUL! Thank you so much! I bet there are products out there like this only they prob cost $20. This will definitely make picture hanging fly by! I’m stopping by from the Tip Me Tuesday party. I would love for you to link this up to My Favorite Things party! It’s going on all week,
    & be sure to check out my giveaway too!
    Thanks
    ~Iffy~

That is such a great idea. I hope I can remember it the next time I have a frame to hang. hmm, on second thought, maybe I should go make the clothespin nail thingy and put that with the hammer to help me remember.

Brilliant! I always try to put the tip of a broken crayon on the hook and then press it against the wall to see the mark, but this is sooo much smarter.

At first I was like ‘wait.. what?’ and had to reread it but that is amazing! So much easier than measuring than guessing where to start poking it in.

Augh… I’ve always done this by just holding the nail where the hanger was and do my best to make a mark in the wall. Not nearly as easy as this!!! I’m definitely using this one!!

Apparently I need to watch TV more often! I would have never thought of something like that, and I have a hate love relationship with hanging pictures. Thank you so much for sharing! :) xo