Distressed Mail Holder

We have a problem in our home when it comes to the mail. We bring it in every day, but we don’t always have time to look at it right away. It ends up piling up on the kitchen table or on the counters.

And it drives.me.crazy!

Solution? A wall mounted mail holder!

Here’s a little background on how this mail holder came to be. I was perusing Pam’s blog, Sallygoodin, and was completely facinated with this post about various things made from old pallets.

I looked outside and what to my wondering eyes should appear??
4 pallets in my very own backyard!

I promptly demanded begged the hubs to pry apart some of these boards with me so I could start creating. But those darn nails in these old pallets were not going to let go of these boards so easily! The wood just splintered off into pieces.
Sooooo, the hubs used an electric saw to cut pieces of the boards off. So much for making super fun things with these long pieces of boards! But that’s okay, my little mail holder only needs to be 12 inches wide which turned out to be PERFECT with this wood.
I designed it. Hubs built it. We make a great team. ;)
I love the old wood, but I really wanted it to blend in with the furniture in my kitchen a little better. We have Broyhill’s Attic Heirlooms furniture in the eating area in our kitchen. Its fabulous farmhouse style furniture that is distressed. Its GREAT! My son will never be able to hurt it, because what is another mark in already distressed wood?
This is the bench we have from this set to give an idea of the distress on the wood.
So, I needed to distress the mail holder because right now its silky smooth…
I attacked with this nail first…
I gouged and scraped. Mostly superficial, but some a little deeper.
Then I went at it with this…
The hubs wasn’t around for me to ask what it was. But it made some fabulous deep gouges in the wood!
(Example of fabulous deep gouge.)
Finally, I attacked the wood with this little hammer. Isn’t it cute?
Great! Now I’m ready to paint. I was pretty sure that I wanted to paint it black, but then I had an epiphany. Seriously, a craft epiphany!
Chalkboard paint strikes again!
But where is it?
I’m pretty sure hubs hid it back in this corner somewhere. I think my obsession with it scares him. (As it should!)
Oh, look! There it is! Yep, he totally hid it from me. Good thing I don’t give up easily!
2 coats of paint later and hubs had it hanging on the kitchen wall.
And an action shot…
I couldn’t be happier with it!
Now, my question to you is, isn’t there a dustless type of chalk? If so, where can I find some??
I hope you’re having a great 4th of July weekend!!

Comments

I love love love this!! Our mail is always getting thrown on the kitchen table and then moved to an extra chair to the table. I plan on making this one when I get the supplies.

Chalk Markers…there is such a thing, and I think that’s how restaurants have the lovely menu boards up front…starbucks, too. Great idea…wish I could get the hubby to actually sort his mail. Paper hoarder all the way.

It’s taking me forever to get through Tickled Pink posts because I have been so busy since Friday.
    I’m glad that I didn’t give up because this one is wonderful. I have the same problem with horizontal heaps of mail!

Great job!
    (Don’t know the answer about the chalk.)

Cute Idea! Look for chalk ink markers – they have them at Michael’s – it’s what they use in restaurants to do cute pics on their chalkboards.

I saw the one over on Knocked Off Wood, too, and just yesterday, strapped two pallets to the roof of my car and drove them home from the store. :lol: I SO want to make something like that!!! :D

Every house needs one of these! Love that you walked outside and found pallets in your wood pile!! using chalkboard paint was genius – we determined minds always get out way!! : )

We have the same problem at my house and I almost bought one the other day at The Wood Connection and I was like no, I can make one! I am so excited that you posted this, so that I can make myself one! I love how it turned out! Thanks for linking up to Hoo’s got talent!

Yes at least at one time there was some sort of dustless chalk. I remember using it at school long, long, long ago. Didn’t write worth a flip! Those chalk markers sound like a great thing though. Love this project!!

Very clever idea! There are chalk markers out there, I think another person commented about that. I know because I have them (my husband strongly dislikes chalk), and they are great.

Michele – Wow! This is super clever and frugal too! Adding the chalkboard paint was the icing on the cake. Great work! And thanks for the shout out. :) Pam @ Sallygoodin

looks great. i had to have a mail/key holder b.c i just can not handle it all on the counter. now when bills are due they are in one spot and it is clean and organized.

thanks so much for stopping by the cape on the corner, and for your comment on my eggplant container. yours are in the ground? they will be bigger than mine in no time! i have been much better about watering my plants this year, maybe that’s why they’re doing so well!

I saw one of these on knock off wood used as a book holder and I have been wanting one ever since. I love the chalkboard paint, I think they have chalk pens at michael’s. great job

I LOVE this! I so want to copy it! Thanks for the inspiration. I love that you used chalkboard paint too. I think a chalk marker (like they use at Starbucks) would have less dust. I’m currently looking for one–maybe a crafts store like Michael’s or JoAnn’s. Found your blog thru Under the Table & Dreaming. Happy 4th!

I have a mounted mail holder that has SAVED my hubby’s little organization corner (which happens to be his side of the bed!) Anyway, I am SO impressed that you made your own. ANd the chalk board paint… brilliant!!