Burlap & Denim Ruffled Patriotic Wreath

Wow! That blog title is a mouthful! But it is what it is… And this is a
Burlap & Denim Ruffled Patriotic Wreath!
I’ve been wanting to make a red, white, and blue wreath for a while and finally decided to make the time for it. The final version is not what I originally imagined, but it is so much better!
I have to confess that I woke up at 3 am the other morning for no reason in particular. Could NOT fall back to sleep to save my life. So what’s a girl to do? Run through design scenarios for my next craft project: the patriotic wreath! That’s how the ruffles came to be.
I started with a wreath form, some red satin ribbon, and my trusty Beacon’s 3-in-1 adhesive.

I wrapped the wreath form with the ribbon because I wasn’t sure how well the burlap would cover the wreath. Luckily it would not end up being a problem…
Because I ran out of ribbon thus the gap in the above picture.
Next step: Gather my fabrics!
I could have sworn I owned some red burlap. But apparently I imagined that!
So I spray painted some white burlap I had on hand, and it worked like a dream.
Love it when that works out!

I cut my new red burlap and more of the white burlap into 2″ strips. Then I hand-stitched crochet thread through the top of each strip to make ruffles.
Edit: I get a lot of questions about the length of the strips I cut. All of the fabric I used are remnants so the length varies. This doesn’t really affect the overall project. Once you run out of 1 strip, move on to the next.

I glued the ruffles to the back of the wreath, layering the white and red.

Then I started wrapping the ruffles around the wreath. When I would get to the end of a strip of ruffles I would glue on another one. I wrapped about 3/4 of the wreath this way. I think I ended up using 5 strips of red and 6 of white.

I repeated the ruffling technique with the denim material and proceeded to wrap the rest of the wreath.

I’m loving all of those ruffles! But something is missing…

I need some “stars” for my denim so it’s time to break out the button stash!
I glued various sized buttons randomly to the denim ruffles.
Now its complete!
The rustic look is really appealing to me. I just keep wanting to go stand on my front porch and stare at it!
So the lesson here is: If you wake up in the middle of the night and can’t go back to sleep, ponder you next craft project. You may just perfect it!
Linking up to the burlap fabric giveaway at Domestically Speaking.

Comments

I tried this the more I pulled the stitches on the burlap the bigger mess I had, I guess it is easlier than what I am making it to be,, I really do not like giving up on making things, but this getting the best of me.. what am I doing wrong. maybe I will do better with just strips of material instead of burlap.. going to start over tomorrow and see what I can do.. your is so pretty.

Love it, going to try to make one for my mama, her bd is on the 4th, but call me crazy, but do you do long strips, or short strips,glue, then another short strip,I just can’t seem to get it in my head..seems like doing several shorts strips would be easier but you said only 5 or 6 of each, so I think you did long ones,so did you leave a space and come back in with the white,, thanks for any help, crazy Debbie

Wow I LOVE your wreath girl! The buttons are so much fun. I pinned this and you might be on my pinterest loves of the week soon :) I found you through the House of Hepworths linky party and just had to stop by. I am your newest follower and cant wait to check more of your blog out. Come and visit me and say hi and please follow back :)

A mommy’s life…with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

First time to your blog to comment on your clever wreath. I think you hit this one out of the park and I plan on copying it ASAP! Thanks for sharing and now, I am going to see what other goodies are here, wink!

What a creative idea! I’m so impressed with your spray painted burlap…it’s so much faster than trying to dye it like I did last winter! Thanks for the great tip!

absolutely fabulous. great tutorial with easy directions. i’m such a fan of burlap, just love this. spotted ya at tater tots.

This is a beautiful patriotic project, Michele! I love the use of denim. Would you mind please adding a link back to me too? I love hosting the party links, but it helps grow my party when the linkers add a link back or party button to their posts. I appreciate it.

Wow….love this! I’ve been thinking I need to get me some Fourth decor and this is perfect inspiration. I think a trip to the fabric store is needed.

I’m visiting from Serenity Now.