Before we get to the giveaway, let’s cover the tutorial for the pom pom necklace!
Let’s start with the small pom poms.
Pom poms are super simple to make. The best way to make several the same size is to create a tool for them.
The tool I created could not be less complex. You’ll need 6 Popsicle sticks, washi tape (or regular tape – washi just makes it more fun!), and 2 binder clips.
Take 3 of the Popsicle sticks, stack them together, and wrap the ends with washi tape. Repeat with the other 3 Popsicle sticks. Set the stacked Popsicle sticks next to one another and attach the binder clips to the ends, leaving a gap between the stick wide enough to put a piece of yarn through. This tool will make ~1-inch pom poms.
To make a pom pom for the necklace…
1. Wrap the yarn around the pom pom tool. I try to keep a relatively square shape to the wrapping.
Wrap, wrap, wrap! The more yarn you use the fluffier the pom pom will be.
2. Take a new piece of yarn and slip a jump ring on it.
3. Slip the yarn with the jump ring on it through the gap between the Popsicle sticks. Then slip a second jump ring on the yarn. You should have a jump ring on each side of the Popsicle sticks.
4. Tie the yarn with the jump rings on it in a half knot (not a full knot!). You should also be sure the the jump rings are on opposite ends of the pom pom (one on the left and one on the right).
5. Remove both binder clips but keep one nearby as we will need it again. Push the center Popsicle sticks out of the tool. This will create a groove for cutting the yarn.
6. Reinsert one of the Popsicle sticks back through the tool right next to the yarn and reattach a binder clip to that end of the tool. This will help keep the groove from collapsing.
7-8. Using the grooves as a guide, cut the yarn at the top and bottom of the tool.
9. Slide the pom pom off of the tool, tighten the half knot then finish it off with a full knot.
Use scissors to trim all of the pieces of yarn into a uniform pom pom and fluff to hide the “seam” of the pom pom.
You can find directions for creating the flower pom pom at Mr Printables. I used their tutorial to make the necessary pom pom tool and adjusted the size of the tool to ~3/4″ which gave me a final pom pom of ~1.5″.
When finishing off the flower pom pom by tying the two sides together, slip a jump ring on the yarn making sure that it ends up at the top of the flower. Since we have jump rings on all of the pom poms, all we need to do is connect them with some jewelry chain.
Measure how long you want the necklace to be then finish it off with a clasp.
I think it turned out fun and whimsical! I’ve already worn it and, though the size of the flower pom took a little getting used to, I absolutely love it!
And guess what? I made a 2nd one to giveaway to one of you!
Not only do have a chance to win my necklace, but several other amazing jewelry pieces as well!
Simply fill out the Rafflercopter widget below to enter.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.