{No Sew!} Embellished Sun Hat

My friends, I’m finally going on vacation this year! We haven’t been on a big trip since before my son was born in 2008. So I am READY!
To gear up for some fun in the sun, I decided my sun hat needed a little dressing up.
See what I mean? Kind of blah.
Plus, I typically have to tie a scarf or something around it so it will stay on my head.
So I gathered some supplies to get this project going…
1. Measuring tape
2. Fabric
3. Marker
4. Pins
5. Ruler
6. Rotary blade
7. Stitch Witchery
First things first, measure the circumference of the hat. I also measured the circumference of my head to be sure my embellishment I was going to add would be snug enough on me.
For my fabric I chose some brown satin. I actually like the back of the satin better (on the left in the above photo).
I started off measuring how wide my fabric would need to be. I want the final embellishment to be ~1.5 inches so I’m going to cut off about 4 inches so I have plenty to work with.
I used my rotary cutter to cut my length of fabric.
Can I just say that this is my first time using a rotary cutter and it was AWESOME, and I’m kicking myself for not using one a long time ago!
I pinned down my seam and ironed it really well.
I took the pins out, reopened the ironed seam, and put down a strip of the Stitch Witchery and attached it using the directions on the back of the packaging
After it was all done, I had a nice closed seam with now sewing!
You know my no sewing for this project comes from the fact that I don’t have nor know how to use a sewing maching… Yeah, I’m going to have to go down that path someday. 😉
After Stitch Witching my seam, I folded the fabric over 1.5 inches, pinned it, and ironed.
Then, instead of folding up the other side, pinning, ironing, and Stitch Witching again, I took the easy way and just trimmed off that extra overhanging fabric with the rotary trimmer.
Maybe I was just excited to use the rotary trimmer again… 😉
I added some more Stitch Witchery to adhere the folded over piece and make it stay.
A quick peek to see how the embellishment will look…
And then I noticed a problem. After all my trimming and hemming and whatnot, the ends would not meet. Boo!
I was going to attached them together with velcro so I could easily take it on and off the hat.
No worries though. I came up with an alternative solution!
Meet two buttons and an elastic hair tie!
Now that embellishment looks nice and tight! I love it!
But it needs a little something extra…
Some fabric roses, of course!
Now that is a finished project.
And I am ready for vacation!
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
I’m linking up to these great parties.

Comments

  1. says

    Um, genius! I love how you did the buttons, they actually add a lot to the embellishment and don’t look like a mistake cover-up.

    I’m with ya, I usually attempt to do things no sew or hand sew only…but I just broke down and bought a sewing machine. You should get one and we could fumble through this together!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *