My friends, I’m finally going on vacation this year! We haven’t been on a big trip since before my son was born in 2008. So I am READY!
To gear up for some fun in the sun, I decided my sun hat needed a little dressing up.
See what I mean? Kind of blah.
Plus, I typically have to tie a scarf or something around it so it will stay on my head.
So I gathered some supplies to get this project going…
1. Measuring tape
6. Rotary blade
7. Stitch Witchery
First things first, measure the circumference of the hat. I also measured the circumference of my head to be sure my embellishment I was going to add would be snug enough on me.
For my fabric I chose some brown satin. I actually like the back of the satin better (on the left in the above photo).
I started off measuring how wide my fabric would need to be. I want the final embellishment to be ~1.5 inches so I’m going to cut off about 4 inches so I have plenty to work with.
I used my rotary cutter to cut my length of fabric.
Can I just say that this is my first time using a rotary cutter and it was AWESOME, and I’m kicking myself for not using one a long time ago!
I pinned down my seam and ironed it really well.
I took the pins out, reopened the ironed seam, and put down a strip of the Stitch Witchery and attached it using the directions on the back of the packaging
After it was all done, I had a nice closed seam with now sewing!
You know my no sewing for this project comes from the fact that I don’t have nor know how to use a sewing maching… Yeah, I’m going to have to go down that path someday. 😉
After Stitch Witching my seam, I folded the fabric over 1.5 inches, pinned it, and ironed.
Then, instead of folding up the other side, pinning, ironing, and Stitch Witching again, I took the easy way and just trimmed off that extra overhanging fabric with the rotary trimmer.
Maybe I was just excited to use the rotary trimmer again… 😉
I added some more Stitch Witchery to adhere the folded over piece and make it stay.
A quick peek to see how the embellishment will look…
And then I noticed a problem. After all my trimming and hemming and whatnot, the ends would not meet. Boo!
I was going to attached them together with velcro so I could easily take it on and off the hat.
No worries though. I came up with an alternative solution!
Meet two buttons and an elastic hair tie!
Now that embellishment looks nice and tight! I love it!
But it needs a little something extra…
Some fabric roses, of course!
Now that is a finished project.
And I am ready for vacation!