Old Drawer Flower Box

I’m still sharing projects from the potting shed makeover! It was a pretty huge feat, and we made a LOT of fun things to go on it. Including this flower box made from an old drawer! It is one of my favorite upcycles EVER!
I have had this vintage drawer in my possession for a couple of years now. I found it at a barn sale and fell in love! Its so chippy on the outside and has that wonderful old wood look on the inside. It has been sitting in my potting shed holding unused flower pots. But it was screaming to be something more!

To me, this gorgeous old drawer was just begging to hold beautiful, bright flowers. I knew I didn’t want it to set on the ground, so I went about designing some legs to raise it up. The drawer is heavy, so the legs needed to be sturdy and solid. A couple of 2×2 posts and scrap 1×4’s would work perfectly for very little cost!
I found 2×2 posts at Home Depot that were 36″ long, and I spent less than $5 on the 2 I purchased.
We cut them in half to make four 18″ table legs. There wasn’t a good way to attach the legs directly to the drawer. We cut scrap 1×4’s into 8 right triangles, 2 for each table leg. The triangles could be attached to the drawer then, in turn, to the legs.
Here you can see how everything was attached. The table legs were held in place to figure out where the triangles should go. The triangles were then screwed to the drawer from the inside of the drawer into the triangles. The triangles were then screwed to the legs. We did this for all 4 table legs.
The bare wood legs did not look great with the chippy drawer. They needed to be painted, but I didn’t want to take away from the drawer. I wanted to use white paint, but was afraid it would be so bright that the new legs would not look right with the old drawer.
The solution? White wash!
I made a white wash solution from some white paint I had on hand mixed with water. I didn’t do any exact calculations, just thinned the water to the consistency I wanted it to be at. If I had to guess, I would say it was 1 part paint to 8 parts water.
I worked on one leg at a time. I applied a coat of the white wash then immediately wiped it off lightly with a shop towel then repeated until I reached the opaque coat that I wanted. It took about 3-4 coats until I was satisfied.
The white wash isn’t too bright and doesn’t take away from the chippy awesomeness that is the drawer!
Before adding the flowers, I sprayed a coat of paint sealer around the outside of the drawer to preserve the chippy paint now that the box would be outdoors. I sprayed 2 coats of Thompson’s Water Seal on the bare wood inside the drawer.
I didn’t place dirt directly into the drawer – I was afraid of it rotting over time. Instead I arranged 5 pots, one in each corner plus one in the middle, in the drawer and filled them with flowers. The inside of the drawer still gets wet when it rains or when I water the pots, but the water beads up beautifully and does not soak into the wood.
I love this addition to the patio! Just seeing it sitting there makes me happy.

My Repurposed Life, 30 Days, Tatertots & Jello, Serenity Now, and other great parties found on my party page.

You may also be interested in these other projects from the patio makeover:

Comments

Just saw this blog… very cute. However, I am 99% sure that your ‘drawer’ is actually a bee box cover. Hubby (son of a bee keeper) said that is what goes on the very top of the hive, like a lid.

Love this! Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty – We hope to see you again soon! The door is OPEN!
    ~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

Hello gorgeous! I’m just stopping by to let you know that your cute drawer flower box was the most viewed at our last party! Happy dance time! We will be featuring it our at our party tonight at 7. I hope to see you there! Lou Lou Girls

Michele, you have hit this one out of the park- people are going nuts over it! It’s such a great project! Pinned! I am featuring it at Treasure Box Tuesday when we get started tonight (8 pm EST)! Thank you for linking up with us!

Excellent tutorial – great photos, instructions that anyone could use to replicate this project. So often details are so limited I feel I need to have taken a woodworking course. Now where did I stash that drawer>

I love this! I think there are a couple of old drawers in our garage – may have to put them to use. Thank you so much for sharing at Share It One More Time. Cathy

Oh my goodness!! I LOVE your flower box!! Thank you so much for the inspiration-and for sharing at The Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop! PINNING!!!

Great idea for a planter box. A great size that could be moved around to different locations throughout the spring/summer. I’ll be keeping my eyes open for a drawer at upcoming garage sales.

what a great idea! love how you preserved the fab chippiness! the legs look awesome too with the extra detailing. Something like this would love LOVELY on my front porch! Thanks for linking to Snickerdoodle, if you get a chance stop by our Creative Challenge upcycle party on Fridays. This month it’s all about the silverware but all upcycle crafts welcome!

What a great idea!!! I’m pretty sure I’m going to need to make one of these myself! Love that you shared this at Snickerdoodle Sunday and I hope to see you again this weekend!

Sarah (Sadie Seasongoods)

I love this upcycle. I’m picturing Wave Petunias in this drawer and on the other hand a drawer full of lettuce for fresh salads this summer. Thanks for sharing on Sunday’s Best. I can’t wait to see more you crafts.

12. Joyce Scott says

While I love this flower box…it truly is a great idea; i wanted to share I think that, rather than this being an old drawer, I think it is actually a super or box from an old bee hive. The handle holds on each side was my tip-off. We have bee hives and each box that holds the frames on which the bees make honey and comb, is called a super. As the bees fill the frames in each super, the bee keeper can layer on another super for the bees to continue making honey. It’s a fascinating hobby, craft, etc., and the payoff is the honey we harvest. The idea of using a drawer is a great one…I have one lined in metal that began it’s life as a drawer from an old sewing machine cabinet…Pretty old wood…great character, it’s really an asset to the pergola my husband built two years ago. I love this site. Thanks

Thanks for stopping by, Joyce! I think you are correct about this being the top of a beehive. We were very curious about the handles when I purchased the “drawer” and couldn’t figure out the shape. I think I may love this upcycle even more now! 🙂

Trackbacks