This spider web doily bunting will spook up your Halloween decor in a granny chic way!
And I love creating my own spooky craft projects!
For today’s Halloween project, I’m going to show you how to make SPIDER WEB DOILY BUNTING!
The first thing we’ll need to do is dye our doilies black because white just doesn’t scream spooky to me.
How about you?
black acrylic paint
inexpensive fabric doilies (mine were $1 each at Michael’s) (affiliate link)
freezer or wax paper
latex gloves (not shown)
(Note: You can dye as many doilies as you like! I used 5.)
1. Add water to your pie tin then a nice long squeeze of paint.
2. Use your toothpick to mix the water and paint thoroughly. It will look like a big dish of black water.
3. Put on your latex gloves and dip one of the doilies in the water mixture.
4. Using your hand, push the doily around in the water mixture to get the paint into all of the crevasses.
The fabric doily will accept the wet paint well.
If you wring it out too hard you will lose some of the coloring!
7. Lay the doily out flat on your freezer paper to dry.
Repeat with all of the doilies.
(Note: I went through this process twice. After the dying the doilies once and allowing the them to dry in the sun, I felt they were too gray for my taste. I simply ran through the dying process again and was satisfied with the coloring the second time around.)
9. Cut the doily in half.
10. Repeat for all of your doilies.
I stretched mine across my giant cutting mat and kept the ends taut with clothespins.
You can do something similar with a table if you don’t have a giant mat like mine!
When you line up the doilies underneath the ribbon be sure that you lay them out upside down (the back of the doilies may not be colored as well as the front).
12. Take some fabric glue (I prefer Fabri-Tac (affiliate link) from Beacon’s but hot glue will work as well) and run it along the length of your ribbon.
Continue the gluing process until all of your doilies have been added to the ribbon.
Mine is spookifying my mantle!
This fat little guy is made with a homemade black yarn pom pom and silver pipe cleaners.
He finishes the look of the spider web doily bunting perfectly.
>> See where I party! <<
This post was originally shared October, 2011.