Display your house number on a DIY house no. pumpkin topiary for a festive front porch idea!
This post contains affiliate links.
That could be from the crazy heat we’ve been having.
But the leaves changing color is the signal for me to bring out all the fall decor and, even if the temps haven’t cooled off completely, my decor will make me feel like we’re at least getting close.
Not only do I like to decorate inside, but I also like to spruce up my front porch as well to create an inviting entrance for guests.
A festive house no. pumpkin topiary is a great statement for the front porch AND let’s our guests know they are in the right place.
You will need as many foam pumpkins as you have numbers in your street address, in my case that is 4.
These are 9×7.5″ foam pumpkins from Old Time Pottery, and 2 of them are a slightly different shade than the others so I’ll stagger them when I stack them.
Unfortunately, we only need the top pumpkin in the topiary to keep it’s stem.
Fortunately, I can save them for another project down the road!
Remove the stems on all but one of the pumpkins.
Use a box cutter to assist you.
Next, find the center of the bottom of the pumpkins and use the box cutter to draw an X into the foam.
X marks the spot!
Take the dowel rod and push it through the pumpkin from the top to the bottom and through the X.
Be sure the keep the rod straight. *Do this step over a plastic bag for easy cleanup. There will be some Styrofoam mess.
Push the dowel rod through all of the pumpkins without a stem.
Then take the pumpkin with the stem still attached and draw an X on the bottom in the center.
Push the dowel rod UP through this pumpkin until it feels far enough in to be secure.
Bend the paper stem wire into the shape of the numbers of your street address, trimming them with the wire cutters.
Attach the numbers to each pumpkin with a little bit of hot glue.
Trim the end of the pick so it is no longer than an inch long then stick it into the foam on the top pumpkin right next to the stem.
My pot holds flowers all summer, but about now they are starting to look pretty scraggly so I just took them out.
The pot is still full of dirt which is stabilizing the topiary.
If you don’t have dirt, you can also fill the pot with rocks or sand.
I added a stem of faux leaves to the base of the topiary and a flower pot purple asters to finish off my look.
I love how it turned out.
Bring on fall!
>> See where I party! <<
This post was originally shared September, 2016.